Friday, September 4, 2009

Best Night Ever

This has become a theme - "having the best night ever" here in San Diego. It's too much really. Too much.

The Working Title played just for us tonight. Just for the roadies and movement staff.

Backstory: When I was 16 my friends saw them play with Watashiwa. My friends Leah and Leslie told me in Spanish class and told me to check them out. Yes. I did. So I found out they were playing about 1.5 hours away and my brother met me at dirty, old Ace's Basement in Greensboro, NC to see them play. They played with Junior Varsity and Mae - we left after TWT played. Will stole a poster for me and I still have it. It had been on my wall until I moved into my last apartment. 5 years of poster hang-age. Thus the affinity began. I fell in love with the unique quality of his voice and their music in general - and seeing them play drove home the sincerity behind their music. You know, it's just that feeling you get.

Since then big Willy G and I have kept up with them - you could possibly credit it as being the catalyst which transformed us from being sister and brother to being friends.

TWT has transformed as a band including the members, but Joel has kept it alive and has done a damn good job of it.

I spoke with him after, it was awkward, I rattled off some incoherent sentences about how much I liked his music and then I shamefully walked away. Regardless, it was pretty rad. Willy G, I talked to him for you because I'm pretty sure you would have irrationally submerged me in frigid water again if I passed up the chance. You would have handled it much better though.

Man, if for some weird reason Joel Hamilton ever comes across this blog, that'll just be uncomfortable. Joel if you are reading this, welcome.

Then to top off the night, we made it to 1,000 screenings! Ahhh. Our attendance average per screening is 150 people, I think, so that makes almost 150,000 people we will be reaching and hopefully adding onto our movement of ending a war and rescuing children from a rebel group. It's glory ya'll. A good glory, not a selfish glory.

I crushed it in our Test Q & A today. I was a bundle of nerves all day because I knew it was coming up, but Margie gave me very positive feedback about my pitch, which set me sailing. I feel released to go to Uganda now. I can't wait.

In other news, my sister and brother-in-law are pregnant! Aunt Leah is stocking up on candies and games, so she can be the craziest, best aunt for that kid. That child will be overwhelmingly loved and adored by the people in his/her life. I already love it the most and it doesn't even have elbows yet. Let's be honest - at first I was a little selfish thinking about how babies basically demand attention and the dynamic of our grown-up family was going to change drastically, but I am so pumped now. I am going to move in with Sarah and Matt to help raise our child. Our child. Are you guys okay with this?

See you in two weeks, everyone. Catherine McDuffie, let's skype chat soon.

1 comment: